Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Shadow of Time by Jen Minkman

Title: Shadow of Time
Author: Jen Minkman
Pages: 400
ISBN: 9781480242234
Genre: Paranormal/Young Adult
First Published: December 2012

All Hannah needs is a nice and quiet vacation after her first year of teaching French at a high school. She joins her brother Ben for the summer in their mom’s log cabin in Arizona. There, she meets Josh again, Ben’s childhood friend from the Navajo reservation. The little boy from the rez has grown up fast, and Hannah can’t help but feeling more for him than just friendship.

But fate apparently has something else in store for her. And it’s not peace and quiet. Night after night, Hannah is plagued by strange nightmares about the past of Navajo Nation and terrifying shadows chasing her. They seem to come closer – and why is Josh always present in her dreams?

Sometimes, the past has a way of catching up with you.


First of all, my compliments to Jen Minkman for the way she wrote this book. There's no way to tell that a dutchie wrote and translated this book herself. Great job!

So, the story. It's very intriguing and definitely original. I've never read anything like it. The characters in the book are all very likable. Hannah doesn't come off as a 23-year old, but that didn't really bother me. I also adored Josh. He’s such a sweet guy, it’s impossible not to like him.

The reasons I can't give this book 5 stars is because even though I enjoyed the story, I think it was a bit too long. The part when you read about Josh' past two lives actually bored me a little bit. That's why Shadow of Time is getting 4 stars from me. It's a great book and I loved how Minkman makes you really feel like you are actually there at the Navajo reservation even though she hasn't even been in the United States herself. I'm looking forward to Jen Minkmans next books!


Just a small note for all the dutch readers: Jen Minkmans boek Back to School is nu ook hier te verkrijgen als ebook. Ook de moeite waard om te lezen!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jenny! I appreciate your review. If you could leave a few lines at bol.com too (where the book is already up in Dutch, too) I'd be indebted :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...